The 25 storey building was built between 1954 and 1958 next to the already existing Mannesmann administration building (year of construction: 1912) by Peter Behrens and was the first skeleton construction skyscraper in Germany.
It was designed and built 1956 1958 by the architects Egon Eiermann and Paul Schneider- Esleben, after they won an architecture competition in 1954.
The skeleton consisted of circular tube supports, at the time the Mannesmann Group's most important product (Mannesmann-Röhrenwerke).
The narrow side of the building faces the river bank of the Rhine and with its glassy grid façade and blue enamelled sheet steel elements radiates an exceptional lightness and elegance. The white and blue panels draw upon the Group's colours. The side opposite to the Rhine accommodates the two-storey main entrance hall.
On the north side, a reinforced concrete core accommodates the lifts and supply lines along all floors. The building has been listed since 1997. After Mannesmann had been taken over by Vodafone, the building was turned in to the Vodafone Group's European headquarter and fully renovated in 2001 under the direction of RKW Rhode Kellermann Warrowsky GmbH & Co. KG.
The appr. 50 year old high-rise is still an outstanding and formative part of the city's townscape.